Sunday, February 22, 2009

Dearest Betty

This morning my mom got a phone call from my Aunt Margret, "MARCIA!! Have you been watching 13abc new this morning?" My mom replied, "No, why? Is everything ok?" "BETTY Died in a house fire last night! I just saw it on the news!!" I knew when I answered the phone this morning that something was wrong with my mom. I could hear the frantic panic in her voice. I asked her what was wrong and she kept saying, "BETTY DIED IN A HOUSE FIRE!!" Ok, so now for some back up information. Who is Betty you asked? She is my second cousin. She lived with her mom 2 streets away from Will and I. Someone was driving down their street last night and noticed the house was on fire. So, they called 911. The firemen had trouble finding Betty and once she reached University Hosipital (MCO) she was pronounced dead. Thankfully, Aunt Sopie had a stroke a month ago and was in a rehab center so she is ok. Will and I drove past the house today and were just speechless. My heart aches for Betty's sister, Dorothy. Could you imagine getting a phone call like that?? The last time I saw Betty was at my cousin's wedding. I was given the opportunity to sit next to her at the reception. She always was so complimentary. I remember her telling me, "Your hair is just so gorgeous. How do you get it to curl like that?" She had a rough life, dealing with mental illness all of her life, but somehow she stayed strong. I am happy that she is with all of the Leonhardts, including her dad, Joey, and my grandma, Uncle Tom, Aunt Mary, and Grandma and Grandpa Leonhardt.

I think today really put some things into perspective for me, we just don't know how long we have on earth. Also, some people think they have such a hard life. Its time to think about what we have and how to cherish every moment. In a week my family will be going through another hurdle. I'm hoping and praying that things will go smoothly. So if you all could, please keep my family in your prayers!!:)

5 comments:

  1. Praying for you guys, let us know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about Betty. We're thinking of you guys. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're so sorry. As terrible as it is, you're right that these times make you appreciate what you do have here on earth. We love you guys, let us know if there is anything we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry about Betty. You and your family are in my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megs, First time I have read your blog. Barb had to show me where it was. I love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete